Saturday, January 17, 2015

6 months in country & Vlog #14

Things you get used to after living 6 months in Ethiopia

#1
Being a celebrity

everywhere you go, you’re being watched. The townspeople know what you did last summer, yesterday, and this morning.

Kids on the school campus  hang outside of windows & stand outside your classroom door just to get glimpses of you. You get used to kids staring at you. In fact you learn how to classify the stares




The wait... are you speaking English?! But aren't you Ethiopian stare
 photo tumblr_inline_mnch5diHfh1rou8qy_zpskcu2mbrz.gif

The quick glances, side eye & I'm tryna be lowkey and not have you know I'm staring stare
 photo tumblr_mb2qblWW8U1qgbb89_zpsa3770ca9.gif

The stare / winks / gestures that say "hey hot stuff, come over here" but their mouths actually say" ANCHI! you ANCHI! you ANCHI! you,  Where are you go?
 photo tumblr_inline_mnjbirkvzV1r6n0bt_zpsd9c23cd2.gif

The you don't speak Amharic.. but you're black so what part of Africa are you from kinda stare 

 photo tumblr_inline_msdixu27cK1qz4rgp_zpsvzmzjvcg.gif

The I'm looking at you dead in the eye and not blinking cuz i have no shame staring kinda stare
 photo tumblr_nczxbnih9N1tkb2p0o1_500_zpscdj3af37.gif

The let me watch you walk down the block, turn the corner and look back to see me still staring at you stare
 photo tumblr_inline_mx5gsfle0d1s2m7xu_zpsyhrquqvm.gif

#2
You get used to living amongst livestock and seeing, smelling and avoiding stepping on poop everywhere. You also know that you must carry your own soap & toilet paper wherever you go, because restaurants, schools, offices and just every single place in Ethiopia refuses to provide you with these thngs.

Yeah we have a bathroom.
oh but you thought we'd provide the toilet paper for you.. awww, how cute

#3
Seeing men in women's clothing and shoes. A 40 year old man wearing ruby red Jellies will no longer leave you confused.

 photo anigif_enhanced-buzz-11247-1355942530-2_zps3b323eb7.gif

Nor will you be confused when that ruby red jellies man starts walking hand in hand down the street with another man. Or even when he places his hand on another mans thigh as they sit down. Yup male affection is a thing here.


Two male friends showing the world that they are besties
#4
You begin to slowly realize that you're feet will never look the same again. A lack of hot water, mani-pedis, and the fact that your town mainly has dirt roads has changed your feet for the worse.

#5
You embrace being known as the crazy foreigner.
Yup I'm 25, childless & not married
Yup Im a woman sitting alone in a restaurant, eating & paying for my own meal.
Yup I wear ALOT of pants. I walk my dog on a lease & sometimes I wear knee high socks - keep staring, maybe you’ll learn how not to give a crap one day too.
 photo tumblr_lyzpf1y3cy1qf6y79_zps6aa0a49c.gif


You learn a lot about yourself living in a new country and culture for 6 months…

 #6
 I’ve realized, for one that I am not that friendly

Sure I smile, I am polite, but while you’re sitting there mistaking my kindness for interest and babbling on and on about your life, im sitting here like...



I’ve always known that I needed my ME time, I need a lot of personal space. And this little fact about me has been highlighted in Ethiopia. Ethiopians are never really alone. These people are incredibly hospitable, friendly and sociable. And it wasn't until their culture of “lets always be together sunshine and rainbows” started to clash with my “loner mode” did I realize how inhospitable, unfriendly, and unwelcoming I could truly be.

Just leave me in my solitude

 photo anigif_enhanced-buzz-28752-1366730513-9_zps70f7de7e.gif


#7
I’ve realized that I am low-key brave

Family back home sometimes throw this word around like “Oh Ashley is so adventurous & brave for traveling solo, or for going to Africa, etc… And I never saw what they were talking about. I still don't when it comes to the traveling aspect of it all… But I’ve seen bravery in myself when I’m walking through town and that crazy guy down the street starts following me or bothering my friend. I’ll quickly push his hand away, or stand taller in any guys presence who seems threatening here…its probably because most Ethiopian men here are so small though lol

#8
I’ve realized that I am dirty

I sometimes go several weeks without a shower and Im ok with it. I’ll just baby wipe this area.. and that area..put on a clean pair of underwear and Ill call it a day. I kiss my dog, I sleep with him somedays, and oh.. wait is that a flea? It is… hmm, what Tv show should I watch next?

#9
I’ve realized how much I love my family and Church
Sometimes you don't realize the support system you have until its gone.

#10
And finally,

I’ve realized that I can totally do the remainder of my ~1.5 years left in Ethiopia

6 months down. 21 more to go.

Vlog #14 in Honor of reaching 6 months in country.


3 comments:

  1. I sooo wish my students can skype with you!!! Keep it up Ashley! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha :) yeah idk about skype lol Ive never even used it out here.. and the time difference, we are 11 hours ahead! but my kids will be in a youtube video! just showing their school and talking about Ethiopian culture. We are doing it as apart of a pen pal exchange im doing with another teacher in America :) You can totally show your kids that if you'd like! Maybe we can organize class letters or something, make it into a big brother / big sister type thing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this !!!! thank you sis...how do you get those videos in that keep repeating?

    ReplyDelete